Monday, June 18, 2012

Mug Shots

listening to "A festa" by Maria Rita


A few years ago I worked with a girl who had the most whimsical view of life.  She would put things together in such unique ways, or would draw images that were insightful, funny, and cute...yet with a razor sharp wit.  

She also saw faces.  

Everywhere.

Getting up in the morning she might glance at the way the tea cups were arranged and see smiley faces.  Foam on her cappuccino glared at her with a frown as a parking meter gasped in surprise.  The world observed from every nook and cranny, and the result of this is that I now see faces too...

Drake and I finished putting up the mast steps not long ago, but part of the process involved making mylar templates to go between the actual step and the mast.  Why bother with the extra work you might ask?  Apparently, in this harsh marine environment if you put two different metals together they corrode at a rate that degrades faster than your computer can go out of date.  You start at the top and by the time you reach the bottom everything is falling to pot.  

So, drink in hand, I spent an afternoon making teeny templates for the tops and bottoms of the mast steps when, suddenly, I realized...


Yes.  There is a little surprised person at the fastening point of each mast step.  Of course, I had to give them a series of emotions because I am nothing if not a master procrastinator.  (I can still hear Drake in the background.  "Are they ready YET?)  This made it slightly harder to use the hole punch through which the rivets would go (not the eyes!), but what can you do?

Now these little faces can join the shore power cord


Drake's electric razor


and our rather wacky wood burning stove.






I look forward to discovering new little faces, wherever they may be...







4 comments:

  1. I love this post! I see faces everywhere too and now I am not afraid to let the world know! Thanks Monique for sharing this with the world...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Chris, I find it so funny that after you start to see them you can't stop. *grin* You should take some pictures of some of your favourite faces... I'd love to see them!

      Delete
  2. I'm usually so busy looking at the munchkins- I don't notice as much like those faces until you point them out. I'll have to keep my eyes open and my camera trigger ready!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be a lot of fun with the kids, and they're so much easier to capture now that everyone has a camera in their phone. Good luck!

      Delete